There is nothing better than home made bacon
WHAT YOU NEED…
- 1.5kg-2kg pork belly skin off
- 200gr Maple Bacon Rub
HOW TO DO IT…
- Remove the skin from the pork belly.
- Rub the bacon rub onto the pork belly and get a good coating on all sides. Place the pork belly into a glass tray and cover well with cling film and place in the fridge. You can also use a large zip lock bag for this process.
- Allow the pork to cure for 5-7 days, turning over each day to ensure the liquid is being constantly redistributed.
- After 5-7 days, rinse the pork belly well under cold water and then dry the surface with paper towel.
- Place in the fridge uncovered to dry for minimum 4 hours until surface feels tacky.
- You cured pork is ready to use as is, or you can smoke your bacon for extra smokey bacon flavour.
- Heat your Smoker/BBQ to 80℃/176℉ and smoke your cured pork till you reach an internal temperature of 72℃/ 162℉.
- This will take approx 3-4 hours and will have a great colour.
- Slice, dice and cook your homemade bacon till the porkers come home.Bacon makes everything taste better, but homemade bacon kicks it out of this world.